Contributers

Sunday, November 28, 2010

Reflection-Week 14

Because I was very focused on Thanksgiving this week, I can’t remember much of what was discussed Monday. Therefore, my post is related to family and friends, because they are what I am most thankful for this holiday season.
The semester is quickly drawing to a close. While it may not seem very close, the fact that finals start next week has many of us stressed but excited for finishing our first semester. I certainly can’t wait for Christmas because I feel the past two times I have been home haven’t allowed to fully get everything done. It’s always hard coming back to somewhere so far away from family and friends and try to concentrate and get your work done.
Recently, I have understood the value of my family. While they are annoying, loud, and friendly like any good southern family, they manage to make my day with simple little jokes, home cooked meals, and trips around Houston. My mom, with her stoic demeanor overseeing our family like a guiding light. My step-dad with his wacky personality and love for all things weird. And my sister, the lazy teenager (yes, she’s 16 years old and probably the only person I can think of who’s excuse for not getting her drivers license was “I wanted to sleep”), who is one of the most intelligent people I know, but has the least amount of common sense.
Then there are my friends. I can’t just describe my friends. They make me laugh and that’s all that matters to me. They’re there for when I’m up and they’re for me when I’m down. They’re so close to me, they’re practically my family.
Though college has been quite the experience, I think that I’m ready for a more prolonged break. Something to really let me clear my head and get to relax with my friends, to see how we really are doing, and to get to enjoy my family. Coming back today was really hard because, to quote a line from Modern Family, “it may hurt right now, but that's how you know it was a relationship worth having.”

No comments:

Post a Comment