Contributers

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Reflection-Week 13

There really isn’t much to say about Week 13. I spent most of the week looking forward to going home for Thanksgiving, so most of the time was spent getting ready for that. Oh, I can’t forget Harry Potter. It was probably one of the single most eventful things I have done this semester.
Our discussion/trial of La Malinche this week was probably the highlight of my week. While I wish that I had been at the Museum of the Native American longer than I was, I did not have much time to spend there. The exhibits on the fourth floor were more artistic than scientific, as we discussed in class. The sheer beauty of the gold, silver and precious stones impressed me beyond belief. The film about the beauty of the Native American people impressed me. Though it was a tad vague, it was very emphatic on the point that the American Indians are sovereign and maintain their sovereignty in all aspects of their daily life.
This sovereignty does not affect many people in their daily lives. However, on a mission trip in sixth grade I got to experience this first hand. My friends and I took at 24-hour bus ride to Shiprock, New Mexico located in the Navajo Nation. The beauty of the landscape was breathtaking in itself, but what really impressed me was that the American Indian community is not portrayed the same in the media as it really exists. Americans simply see the world of the American Indian as a static existence, something that is stuck in time and not moving forward. The reality is that the Navajos, and their other counterparts, are in fact modernized and living in the 21st century. They enjoy the conveniences’ of new automobiles, highways, and all of the luxuries of a regular home. But the culture and the depth of their experience made the trip so much more. The history and stories they told about their people and the land they lived on are much more colorful and significant than any story I’ve ever heard about the Anglo Americans.
All I can say is, I’m ready for Thanksgiving. I need a break.

1 comment:

  1. Andrew,

    I completely agree with you, I cannot wait for this break.

    I really liked the way you addressed Native American culture, today. I think that is something that we do not pay enough attention to when we are discussing this rich culture. In fact, I believe that we could learn a lot from their way of life. I believe it's important to preserve the past without hesitating the welcome the future, and I think these tribes do a great job of that. Another thing that should be noted is that they do not focus on the wrong doings that were faced by their ancestors. I'm curious to know what kinds of stories you heard about while you were there.

    ReplyDelete